Tax-paying is a civil duty of many people. It is the right of the government and social legislation of the people of the nation. But in recent times, keeping up with the plethora of tax-paying processes is becoming difficult.
If you are a citizen of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan then you are entitled to do things as the state is asking from. Learning about capital gain tax on property in Pakistan is one such aspect that people need to pay more attention to.
Let us learn in detail about the calculations and exemptions of capital gain tax on property in Pakistan.
What is Capital Gain Tax?
When a property is sold, the profit that an investment secures over the deal is known as capital gain tax. A person becomes eligible to pay out the capital gain tax when the investment is sold in a year. The person has to pay the charges in the said year.
The capital gain tax on property rates for the years 2022 and 2023 are as follows:
These rates are mostly dependent on the filer’s income. The income brackets for the years are modified accordingly for each year.
Investors are entitled to provide the long-term capital gain tax on any investment they have owned over the course of the last year. In case the investor is holding on to the investment for one year or less time period then the term which is applied is known as short-term capital gains. To calculate this ratio the taxpayer’s ordinary income is considered.
Capital Tax Gain in Pakistan
The capital tax gain in Pakistan is defined and provided by the Income Tax Ordinance 2001 section 37. Whether or not connected with the business, any property is held by the owner but there are some exclusions from the whole scenario as well. For instance, these are the main differences:
- Any Stock in Trade (Held for Business Purposes)
- Depreciable Asset
- Any Movable Property Held for Personal Use
The Distinction of Capital Tax Gain
Here are some of the most important things to understand about the capital gain tax:
- The Seller Is the One Who Is Eligible to Pay for the Capital Tax Gain
- The Buyer Is Not Entitled to Pay for the Capital Tax Gain
- Capital Gain Tax Should Be Deposited at the Time of Annual Tax Returns
- Capital Gain Tax Should Only Be Paid on Those Investments Which Have Resulted in Profits
- You Are Not Eligible to Pay Capital Gain Tax on the Total Amount of Goods Sold
Capital Tax Calculation
There are three main ways used to calculate the capital gain tax in Pakistan.
- Using the Actual Values
- Using Old DC Rates and Adding the New FBR Values
- Using the New FBR Values
Using Actual Values
The real estate seller is required to submit the actual values while dealing with the real estate. The actual price is to be provided and the seller is also accustomed to hand in the actual capital gains which are tax based on the raised profits.
Read Also: Capital Smart City Payment Plan 2023
Using Old DC Rates and New FBR Values
This method is utilized using total profits from which the direct cost at the purchase time and FBR values at the sale time are deducted.
Total Profits (5% CGT on profit) = DC rate at the purchase time – FBR Value at the time of sale
Using New FBR Values
The total profits are gained by subtracting the FBR value at the time of purchase from the FBR value at the time of making a sale.
Total Profit (CGT = 10% 7.5%, 5% for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year on profit) = FBR Value at purchasing time – FBR Value at the selling time
But in case you are making a sale in another financial year and the government has upgraded the FBR value then at that time you will use the aforementioned formula.
Properties That are Exempted from Property Gain Tax
Given below are some of the properties which are exempted from capital gain tax on property in Pakistan:
- Immovable property is allotted to the following people:
- Shaheed or dependents on shaheed (Pakistan Armed Forces)
- A person who has died during service to the Pakistan Armed Forces or Federal or Provincial Government
- War-wounded individuals who are currently serving Pakistan Armed Forces or Federal or Provincial Government
- Ex-serviceman or currently in-service personnel of the Pakistan Armed Forces
- Residents claiming to have only one fixed asset
- Self-owned businesses which the owner has listed as an active taxpayer company in the active financial year
- Any mobile real estate project from which the income generation is subjected to income tax
The aforementioned data is an in-depth analysis of the capital gain tax on property in Pakistan. In case you have any more questions you can always reach out to the financial advisors. But make sure to perform a complete data analysis of the formulas and calculations before you dive deep into the details.
Read More: About Lahore Smart City Plots